To avoid the unnecessary spread of COVID-19, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office issued the following arrest standards, which are in effect for the Jefferson County Jail until further ordered by the Sheriff.
- No misdemeanor or municipal custodial arrests will be accepted unless charges require an advisement under the VRA.
- No traffic related warrant arrest will be accepted.
- No 1st time drinking and driving offense will be accepted unless no reasonable alternative can be found. Second or greater drinking and driving offenses will be accepted.
- No county court or municipal warrant arrest will be accepted unless the underlying charge is a VRA crime.
- Arrests on felony warrants will be accepted but the Sheriff's Office urges officers to exercise their discretion in making such arrests and to take into account the underlying original violation.
- Arrests for non-violent felonies (F4, F5, F6, DF3, and/or DF4) will only be accepted if there is a direct threat to public safety. Otherwise a felony summons process is recommended.
- The likelihood of an individual complying with a court summons shall not be grounds to determine whether a custodial arrest is appropriate.
If you have questions about these arrest standards, you can call us at (303) 747-6898 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.